Tuesday 1 March 2011

Felting Fantastic!

I started my working life as a silk painter, and it seems that wherever life takes me, I'm always drawn (no pun intended) back to textiles in some form or other. The common thread (groan) of the last 7 years has been the kimono; whether I'm painting it, studying it or wearing it, I just adore kimono!

Recently I got the itch to create again but I knew I didn't want to paint...I wanted a new medium with different qualities...I wanted to create textiles but not through stitch...the solution was...needle felting!!!

Being 'Japanese', it's hard not to use nature as a starting point, but I much prefer the stylised designs on kimono which have been around for centuries and yet still look so modern and fresh.
So, here's the start of my new collection
They are each about 25cm square and will be mounted in black frames, without glass. 

At last I have found something I absolutely love creating, but more importantly, feel confident about showing to the world! These are still early attempts and I'm sure there's still a lot to learn but I wanted to share them with you all the same.

Now, usually this is the point where I'd chicken out and decide that really, nobody needs to see my work, but I'm going to be brave and press the 'publish' button this time xxx








1 comment:

  1. Fantastic felting work Katie ! I love it ! X Fab

    ReplyDelete