Wednesday 18 May 2011

A Manic Few Weeks

OK so I've been useless and not posted on here for a few weeks. But believe me, I've not had time to catch my breath since we got back from Japan. I've done more talks and workshops than you can shake a kendo stick at, plus a fundraising day, all of which involved a lot of preparation and travelling.

At the fundraising day I was genuinely surprised, but very happy, to be presented with this gorgeous bonsai tree! 
I've also written 2 magazine articles; one for Creative Crafting on Japanese traditional crafts, and one for the Beadworkers Guild Journal which involved devising a project using kumihimo braiding with beads, and an interview about me and my work. It's amazing how much work went into the project. The easy part was designing the bracelet, but then I had to make lots of samples, take step-by-step photographs (not easy when you need 2 hands to braid with and you've no tripod!), edit said photos, write instructions linked to the photos and then package the lot off to the Guild. Apparently, everyone in the office is coveting the bracelets so I'll have to count them when I get them back! Both articles will be published next month, for the July editions.

Somewhere in the middle of all that, I made a baby's quilt. This was a commission which I got before Japan, so I was able to get some lovely waffle-weave fabrics from Kyoto. I've grabbed an hour here and there (usually in front of the 10 o'clock news) and it is finally done! The technique I used is Japanese Folded Patchwork (NOT Cathedral Windows as some people think when I teach it!). Although I machined some of it, there was a lot of hand stitching involved, which I love doing.
This is how the back looks
I've also been busy arranging workshops with several craft shops who stock my kits. So, you are welcome to come along if you want to learn! Here's the dates:

May 26th The Paper Lane, Northallerton KANZASHI BROOCH MAKING

June 18th Lythe Village Hall (Gillmot Crafts) FUROSHIKI GIFT WRAPPING AND NEEDLE FELTING

June 25th The Paper Lane, Northallerton ORIGAMI with KIMONO DRESSING DEMONSTRATION

These days should be great fun as you will meet other crafters and learn something completely different and new. Please contact the organisers through the links above to book a place.

And last, but probably most importantly, I can now announce an event that my kimono teacher and I discussed when we were in Japan. Emiko is going to come to the UK in November especially to work with Japan Crafts to raise money for Japan. Much of the country is still devastated and will need help long after the disaster disappears from our news. So, although November is a way off, money raised then will be as much needed as it is now. Details of Emiko's visit (and the other stuff Japan Crafts has been doing for Japan) can be seen here

If you have any questions or ideas for Emiko's visit, please do get in touch x

No comments:

Post a Comment